My Life... Crazy, Interesting, and Fun

Sunday, November 12, 2006

November is...

November is Diabetes Awarness Month.

My brother has had diabetes since he was 2. He has had a long tough go with it, but has manged to get through it. We've had a few scares along the way, but it comes with the disease. Sugars UP and DOWN.. Pretty scary.

There are pro's and con's to having diabetes.. At halloween time Matt traded his candy for money. I always got the candy. Maybe I should have voted for cash too. Matt is tall and thin, and it looks like I've had too much candy! LOL

It was hard for him though seeing all his friends eating their treats on the school yard at recess, but hey Matt had more money than them all. But there were a few times I'd see him on the hill snacking on a chocolate. (he probably bought it off someone)

When we would go out for dinner as a family, Mom would always say.. "We have a diabetic with us". I don't remeber if it got us a table faster, but I think I might use that line myself next time I go out to eat.

Everytime we went to grandma's for dinner everyone in the family would always say " has Matt done his needle?" It probably got really annoying to him, actually I know it was annoying to him.

As Matt got older, he turned against his diabetes, and really hurt himself. He would have horrible reactions with low and high sugars.
At our cousins wedding he passed right out before the reception. Split his lip and missed a really good dinner!!

It didn't help though that prom was the night before and, well shall we say was pretty hung over. Any typical teenager wakes up the next morning and the thought of food turns their stomach. Well for a diabetic you can't forget to eat. He did and crashed. Made for a great wedding story for holly and Shawn!

Matt presented the Queen Mother with flowers when she came to London to unveil the Flame Of Hope. For anyone who doesn't know what the Flame is, it is a gas burning flame that will stay lit until a cure is found. It was a really nice day that day and the Queen Mother had several different hats. One for the reveal, one for tea, and many more. What an honour it was for my brother.

Anyways what I am trying to get at is, donate to the Canadian Diabetes Association to help find a cure for not only my brother but for all the other Diabetics out there.

Thanks,
*j

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home